Saturday, October 07, 2006

Gordon Conwell Reflection (April 2006)

Boston, in a nut shell

When Matt and I arrived in the Boston airport, it had just finished snowing. The snow didn’t stick, but none the less, it was FREZZING! Nic and Katie Pope picked us up in their Cadillac Deville. I’d never seen a car so huge before. It was quite comfortable, I must say. As they picked us up and started driving us to our next destination, I realized that Gordon Conwell (the seminary) wasn’t in the actual town of Boston. Our drive would be about 30-35 minutes north of the city. My heart sank. Here, I thought we’d be in the city, getting to do inner city ministry, with a campus right-smack-dab in the middle of the heart of Boston. Nope. Not even close. I also was very hungry and that might have added to the heart sinking feeling. Maybe it was my stomach more than my heart.

We arrived at Gordon Conwell and put our stuff in the Pope’s cute apartment and then went to register. The cookies were soooooo good!! And I was starving. We got our goodie bags filled with information, waters and peanut M&M’s. Oh man, do they know how to treat their guests. J

After registration, we went out to dinner at a place that I can’t remember the name, but the country fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans we like heaven! I think I ate for 5 people that night. It was delicious. Interestingly, the same place we ate at sold rocking chairs and candy. Odd pair with food, but it gave for a different atmosphere. When we got home, we just hung out, laughed at Nic’s impressions and headed to bed. *Oh, I have to add here the Nic and Katie are the best hosts I’ve ever experienced. They let us stay in their room, in their bed. Pretty awesome, if you ask me.

Day two: Matt and I were so tired that we almost slept through orientation. Opps! So, I sent Matt while I took a shower. Coincidently, Nic was late to his morning class too!! When Matt came back, we got ready and went to sit in on a class. I think it was systematic theology I. Matt loved it! I got lost after the first infallibility, inerrancy, systematic… blah, blah, blah. What? Jesus died for our sins? Ok, that part I understand. I will say that Nic thought to prepare us by impersonating this professor. So when Matt and I entered the class, we couldn’t help but giggle through the first 10 minutes. (Ask Matt to do the impersonation… it’s pretty funny.) After that we sat in on another class. We enjoyed this class, as well. After class, we headed down a small hill to have lunch in another beautiful brick building. We met several other prospective students, most of whom were married. Two were from Australia. Another one reminded us of Daniel Chui. Lunch was delicious.

Following lunch we had a presentation on finances. They told us how affordable GCTS is, the scholarship information, as well as housing costs, etc. That was very helpful. Matt and I enjoyed the fact that the administration awards scholarships as often as they do. Definitely a plus for GCTS.

Friday Nic, Matt and I went to a place called Panera Bread for breakfast. It’s a place similar to Uncle Harry’s, but serves salads, soups and specialty coffee and bread. It was yummy. It was there that Matt and I decided, or the Lord prompted us and we committed, to go to seminary this fall. Yes, that’s right… Fall 2006. Matt and I went to Boston to see if we were to venture there, but instead God said “Ha! Not gonna tell you yet, but I will say that you’re going this fall.”

After that we went to our last seminar about degree programs. It was there that Matt and I saw what it would be like to be a full time student and graduate in 3 (yes, 3) years. The guy giving the presentation was a graduate of GCTS and gave, in great detail, explanations of the program and its expectations of the students. This was our last stop on the GCTS “Discovery” tour.

Saturday we went to the actual city of Boston (which was amazing!). We took the train and then the “T”—which is what they call the subway. Saw all sorts of historical buildings, skyscrapers and even walked down Newberry St. (which is their version of Rodeo Dr.) I feel in love with the city. That night we went back to Nic and Katie’s for a time of prayer, another chance to seek the will of God.

We left very early the next morning and had the longest flight of our lives!! (Minus our trips out of the country, those don’t count.) It was a wonderful trip. The more Matt and I look back on it, the better we feel about Boston. We can see ourselves there… for 3 years. We can’t see us relocating there, but we can see going to school there. Although we’re still not 100% positive on where we’re supposed to go, yet. I’m not as afraid of Boston as I was when we left. We go to Fuller this weekend. Matt and I are expecting to here from the Lord, once again. Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers. We will keep you posted as we continue to discern where it is God wants us to go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure this would be very interesting if i had the time and patience to read it!!! haha
-missy

1/22/2007 5:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home