Saturday, October 07, 2006

Fuller Reflection (May 2006)

Dear Friends and Family,
Most of you already know that Matt and I have been searching for the right seminary to attend this fall. We visited Boston in April and knew that God was there, as he said "ok, get ready to start school this fall, Matt." We had great trip and you all should've gotten that email.

Last month we also visited Fuller Theological Seminary, located in Pasadena. The good thing about Pasadena was, it wasn't freezing. It was a little rainy, but NOT freezing. (That goes under the "pro" for Fuller.) We drove down Friday night and got to my Aunt Debbie's house, where two crazy yorkies live... oh, and my cousin, too. We went to bed early so we would be fresh for the one day of Prospective Student Weekend.

Matt and I drove about 10 minutes from Aunt Debbie’s house before arriving on campus. Long drive, I know. They fed us breakfast and we ate outside. It was a little chilly, but nothing like Boston. And this time I wasn’t sad. Fuller was, literally, right smack dab in the middle of the city. My heart was happy. It doesn’t look like a college campus at all, which is unique. After breakfast, and some delicious coffee, we went inside the chapel and heard all about “why we should go to Fuller.” We heard the president speak, sang worship and had a good time of prayer. And to be quite honest, I was eating it all up. They talked about serving the poor, seeking justice and working with the marginalized. And I started to get giddy. But I was trying really hard to hide it from Matt. I didn’t want to influence him by my giddiness. We took tours, ate a fabulous lunch and meet some people who have the same passions as Matt and I have. At one point in the day, he turned to me and said “So, whadda ya think?” I tried really, really hard not to jump up and down, and clap my hands because I was in love with Fuller. I tired to hide my smile. “You like it, don’t you,” Matt said. I couldn’t help it. My emotions were on my sleeve, again. Dang those emotions! Matt was liking it as well. And I was more than relieved. We continued looking at the college and talking out questions and looking at housing. When the day was over, my spirit was glad.

We drove the “long” 10 minutes back to Aunt Debbie’s house and waited for her and my cousin to get back from softball. That evening they took us out to the most fabulous dinner and dessert. It was awesome! We talked about the day and tried to process our thoughts. After dinner we went home and Matt and I decided we were going to visit one of the churches in Pasadena. We chose Mosaic.

We loved Mosaic. Erwin McManus is the pastor and is amazing. He’s written a few books, but I couldn’t tell you what they are called…. Matt could, though. Anyway, the service was splendid! The worship touched my soul. They had a drama that clearly related to the message. During the service, on the left side of the auditorium, was a lady painting a picture. And as Erwin McManus spoke, she painted. That was my favorite part. It reminded us of The Avenue (4th service), at The Bridge EV Free, Fresno.

It was a splendid weekend! And I knew that if the Lord wanted us to go to Fuller, I would gladly accept. Not because it’s closer than Boston. If this school was in Boston, than we would’ve chosen Boston. But it’s in Pasadena. And God has clearly, and I mean clearly, shown us that Fuller is the school for us. So, we leave at the end of summer. We begin a new journey. So thank you to those of you who asked Matt and I the hard questions and made us think. Thank you for supporting us in this decision to go to seminary. God has placed a calling on Matt’s life and I’m excited to see where He takes us with it. Please, continue praying for us as we make the transition. We need housing, jobs and oh yeah, that tuition thing. (Does God write checks made out to Fuller? Hmm…)

Again, thank you. We will keep you posted on our new journey.

With love,

Matt and Sara Lloyd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home